Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Amazing Heroes fan art (Or "Are you happy NOW, Shag?")

Wow, two, count them TWO, posts in one single day! I am AMAZING!! Okay, not so much.

Thanks to Shag Matthews for sending me these two fan pics of Captain Carrot. They are from the now defunct magazine, Amazing Heroes, that was published by Fantagraphics Books from 1981 up until 1992. I have to admit, I've never heard of the magazine, or if I have, it's long since dropped out of my memory. (Huge chunks of both the 80s and 90s are a bit hazy. I blame Molson XXX.)

The first picture is from issue 59. The art is by some chap named Chas Gillen, and features Pig-Iron duking it out with (classic 80s) Iron-Man.


The second picture, also by Chas Gillen, features Captain Carrot...um...playing horsey with Fastback. At least, I hope that's what they're doing. It's a well-drawn pic, regardless of whatever dirty shenanigans the two are up to. It was found in Amazing Heroes #61.


For more information on Amazing Heroes, check the wikipedia page. Trust the info at your own risk. The wiki page can be found here.


Thanks again to Shag for the pics. He says he may have more, and if he does, I'll be sure to post them. Hopefully there's no more dirty horsey pics, though.

5 comments:

  1. Happy now. Just don't want to see you lose your passion for this great site and character!

    The Irredeemable Shag
    http://www.firestormfan.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I don't think you have to worry about that. Me dropping dead from exhaustion before I get around to updating, though? That you may have to worry about from time to time.

    If you and others keep kicking me in the ass though.... LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was there something else you expected us to do with it?

    AMAZING HEROES and David Kraft's COMICS INTERVIEW are sometimes worth digging out of bargain bins (I've got one with the scoop on the 1988 Watchmen movie from Terry Gilliam.) AH is important in comics history because it was published by the same company as COMICS JOURNAL. In the 70's CJ was more fanboy-ish, devoting a lot of print to super-hero comics.When the direct market expanded they added AH to accommodate the volume of coverage instead of publishing CJ more frequently or with more pages. It was also magazine-sized when it started. to give the two titles distinct personalities, AH focused on super-heroes and CJ gravitated towards the emerging independent publishing scene and the academic end of criticism. Tellingly, AH shrank to modern comic book dimensions so fanboys could fit it into the same boxes as their comics. AH took over CJ's earlier practice of publishing fan art and contains some crude early work from some people who went on to be published prfessionals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to read Comics Journal...I even subscribed for about a year or so because I could never find it on a regular basis. But they got what I considered too "snobby" in the late 70s early 80s and I stopped reading it. Amazing Heroes if I recall was more like a "spotlight" on certain characters. I kept the Teen Titans issue for years, I remember. There was a Captain Carrot issue too if I remember correctly. I agree with pblfsda above; if you see them in a bargain bin you should definitely check them out.

    ReplyDelete