Friday, January 10, 2014

Another Yankee Poodle Sighting, Ambush Bug: Year None #1 - Sept. 2008


So, I was sitting around today. I was supposed to be sleeping, not on facebook, but who can sleep these days? Not me, that's for sure. Anyway, I WAS on facebook, and noticed I had a new message from facebook friend and fellow Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew fan, Carl Gibson. I know you're dying to know what it said, so here it is:

"I was just flicking through my comics collection and noticed Yankee Poodle appeared in Ambush Bug: Year None. Not sure if you already knew this but as a fellow Zoo Crew fan I thought you may be interested!"

Am I interested? Oh hell yeah, I'm interested. I had no idea that Yankee Poodle had made an appearance alongside Ambush Bug, who has long been another one of my favorite DC characters (Seeing a pattern? Yes, I love all the weirdo characters). Strangely enough, I had been looking to pick up all the Ambush Bug comics just a few weeks before, but the comic shop I was at was missing a few issues of each series, so I decided to hold off until my next online purchase. (I ended up buying some Jonah Hex mini-series instead.)

Quickly, I looked up Ambush Bug: Year None over at mycomicshop.com. Six issues, written by Keith Giffen and Robert Loren Fleming, with art by Keith Giffen and Al freaking Milgrom??? Yeah, sign me up. So I quickly placed an order for all six issues.

Yankee Poodle appears in issue one of the series. This is the synopsis for the first issue, taken from Wikipedia (I'm at work, and don't have time to write it up myself, so I'm taking the lazy way out).

From the wiki:
The first issue, "Hey, You Sank My Battle-Ax!", revolves around Ambush Bug trying to solve the murder of Jonni DC, a female version of Johnny DC. Through the course of the story, Ambush Bug encounters such DC Comics characters as Yankee Poodle, Egg Fu, Ace the Bat-Hound, and 'Mazing Man. Through the course of his investigation, he is pursued by his evil sock, Argh!yle!, and his minions bent on Ambush Bug's destruction. Also pursuing him is "Go-Go Chex", a mysterious being whose face is completely covered with the checkerboard pattern that appeared at the top of DC comic covers during the 1960s; he constantly speaks in 1960s phrases and slang, and refers to everyone around him as "Wonder Chick". Occasionally, the Source Wall, as a sentient slab of concrete, appears vacationing across time and space in places where Ambush Bug passes.

And here are the two pages of the book that pertain to Yankee Poodle:


She tells Ambush Bug to F.U??? SWEET!

Yankee Poodle! 'Mazing Man! Egg Fu! Al Milgrom! And of course, AMBUSH BUG! How can I go wrong with this mini-series? So happy I ordered it! Unfortunately, I can't say anything recommending the series to those of you who haven't read it, as I have yet to read it myself. But if you're an Ambush Bug fan, I'm sure you'll probably like it.

Thanks again to Carl Gibson for pointing me in the right direction. You totally made my day. And if any of you out there know of any other cameos by the Zoo Crew that I may have missed, don't hesitate to yell at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment